Friday, January 2, 2009

Ten Years

January 2,1999

Ten years of marriage in the bag. Check.

I remember my now-brother-in-law, who at the time was still married to his first wife (confused?), told me and Tim shortly after we were married, that if we could make it through the first year we would be okay. A year went by and we were like, "what the heck was he talking about?"

We are kind of an odd couple and yet we are perfect for each other. I say odd because, well...if I so much as put flip flops on, I am taller than him. And I don't think I have ever weighed less than him...uuummmmmm...moving on. He is very social, I like to sit back and people watch and not say a thing. He's musical, I'm not. I was a dancer, he is probably the suckiest dancer you will ever see (he gets his moves from the Caddyshack gopher). I could keep going...but these are all the little petty things that actually make a marriage kind of funny if you ask me.

It's crazy how much you think you know a person when you first get married. Looking back ten years ago, Tim and I didn't know squat about each other. Even so, it's been a pretty smooth ride. I can honestly say in ten years we have never had an honest to goodness FIGHT. Ever. We are very lucky.

Some of the things that make our marriage work:

We make each other laugh every day.

We don't "sweat the small stuff".

Tim never leaves for work without kissing me goodbye, even if I am still asleep.

We are honest with each other.

We allow each other independence.

We both thoroughly enjoy toilet humor, we disgusting children of the 80's. (I have to make this count for something).

We respect each other.

We have stupid nicknames for each other: Peaches, Swan, Poo Poo Face, Sir Poops A Lot, Stinky...you get the picture.

We prefer being addressed by our stupid nicknames rather than our real names.

We flirt.

We trust one another completely.

It's been a pretty easy breezy ten years and I have no reason to think the next ten will be any different. I have no complaints. I snagged me a good one. He is a good guy, this Tim of mine.

5 comments:

Jandi said...

Happy Anniversary you two! What a sweet post. You are guys are PERFECT for each other. What a great thing to find and have the "one"...

mtduckgirl said...

Happy Anniversary. I remember when you two got married. It's hard to believe it has been 10 years already. Here's to making the next 10 as wonderful as the first 10.

Stockettclan said...

Lever, I love you guys! Your sweet post made me want to go make out with my honey!!! We sure snagged some good guys. Probably a good thing because I think they would have married eachother:)

Liv said...

Oh my gosh Nik that made me laugh!

Unknown said...

Hey Liv- I found your blog through Jandi's. Happy ten years to you guys!