Friday, January 9, 2009

Squirt and the butter box

This has turned into an experiment.

I got home from Costco one day with a bunch of groceries. As I was putting groceries away, emptying out all the Costco boxes, I looked over and Squirt had taken a liking to this butter box. I didn't think much of it. Cat's like cardboard boxes. So I just kind of left it there for him for a couple of days figuring he'd eventually get bored with it. Then I noticed he was gradually eating it. And it was becoming his new favorite place to sleep. Andrew thought it was funny so he made a permanent home for the butter box behind our recliner right next to the heater vent. Squirt LoVeS it. He snuggles up in his nice warm box, eats the top layer, then goes to sleep. If Andrew is chasing him around the house, Squirt will run straight to his box, chew on it, then snuggle up. It's like his refuge.

Out of curiosity I'm leaving the butter box exactly where it is for now. I want to see how long it will take him to eat the box right out from under himself. I'm pretty sure he'll do it.

You can still see the Kirkland emblem on the top left side of the box.

The Kirkland emblem is gone

Andrew made a little sign that says 'Squirts kitty home'

5 comments:

mtduckgirl said...

Hey have you been keeping your eyes open for a new butter box once this one gets eaten up? This is funny.

Stockettclan said...

This is one of the funniest stories of your dang cat! He's probably the weirdest animal I've ever heard of on the planet! I would love to see a video of his "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" wall move. Work on getting that, 'cuz it could be a $100,000 video!!!

Liv said...

I've actually considered installing surveillance video in my house to try to capture the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon move.

kbeags said...

you should put another pic of the butter box on. is it eaten away yet?!!!!

Liv said...

There will be updates on the butter box at some point. He's slowed down a little but still munches on it daily.