Monday, December 6, 2010

Lewis & Clark Caverns - Aug. 2010 (part 1)

Tim and I realized that although we've both lived in Montana our entire lives, neither of us had ever been to the Lewis and Clark Caverns. It's vaguely familiar that maybe my parents took me and my siblings there years ago but who knows. So anyway, I got online to look things over, decided to rent one of their little cabins, threw some things in the van and off we went. Yippee!

We got in later than planned and I was very glad to not have to set up a tent in the dark and the rain. Even Tim, uber-outdoorsman that he is, was perfectly happy to just walk into a cabin and turn the heater on. Man we're getting old and lazy.

We brought our things in, made some hot cocoa and got ready for bed. The MOST uncomfortable beds on the planet! Yeah, we're getting old. Andrew spent most of the time up in the beams.

The next morning we got up and did a little hike around in the hills, then went back because it was so flippin' cold and wet. Then we headed up the mountain for the cave tour. The nice thing about the crappy weather and going on a weekday, was that our tour group was tiny...us and like 5 other people.

As we got closer to the top, with the fog and the stone steps, it felt a little like we were headed into Mordor.




At the entrance...

And inside...
Our tour guide was a bat nut. She gave us a big lecture on not disturbing any bats we saw, and then once inside she kept stopping us and pointing out every freakin' bat she could find and making us stop to look at them. Seriously, one bat looks just like the next. She got a little mad with us with the first bat she found because we bypassed it without noticing it, so she whistled and called every one back to admire the thing. Freako'...





To be continued...

3 comments:

mtduckgirl said...

Way cool. There's a photo where Tim looks so much like his dad - he's got his hat and glasses on! Wait - are we really growing older....
I remember going to Lewis & Clark Caves when I was a wee child and I whimpered through most of it - especially when the bats showed up. I started screaming when at the end of the tour the guide said, "Uh-oh it looks like I've forgotten the key looks like we'll have to hike back through to the entrance." Let's say that once my hollering started he found his key real quick. I'm glad you guys get to do this stuff as a family!!

Suzy said...

Oh my gosh Karen. I was just saying to Harold that Tim is looking more like his dad all the time. There's actually one that looks like Dale too.

Suzy said...

The one of them sitting in front of the cabin looks like Dale.

You guys have to come down and do the Karchener Caverns with us.