Sunday, June 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Holy cow! I just noticed my childhood home is on the market. My parents sold the house about 7 years ago and I swear it was the worst day of my life! It's funny how we get attached to houses. It took me awhile to realize it's not the house itself that I missed, it's everything that happened inside. And I can take all those great memories with me anywhere I go. Still, I've had recurring dreams about going back and sneaking into my old house and just looking around. Now that it's back on the market, I can take a peak back inside. It was weird enough emptying the place out when my parents sold it but it's even weirder to see other peoples stuff in there.

Some things the next buyer does not know:

- The house is totally haunted (I SWEAR!)

- Buried outside the kitchen window are: a bunny rabbit, my dog 'Midget', and I don't even know how many cats.

Liv, Mom, Midget


- Somewhere in the walls of that house there is a dead boa constrictor, several pet mice, and maybe a lizard or two.

Aaron, Nik and the boa


- The house was painted with cheap child labor (only after said children scraped off the old LEAD paint with blow torches and scrapers. I think I was six when I was handed my first blow torch. Aaahh, those were the days).



- The kitchen sink has seen it's fair share of naked butts (okay, this particular sink was long ago replaced but I couldn't resist this AdORAbLe picture of my bro).

Aaron


I really don't miss the old house anymore. I had a fabulous childhood and have a ton of memories from inside those walls. But I've realized, especially since I've been married, that your home isn't the house itself, it's wherever your family is. Cliche, I know, but so true.

11 comments:

mtduckgirl said...

Liv, I like this. Thanks for sharing the memories!

Stockettclan said...

Nice hair, Suzy Q!!

kbeags said...

sappy!! ~gramma

Suzy said...

the "sappy" comment was from me liva not kelsey. she signed my name but it sounds like she's saying "sappy gramma." anyway, it's only sappy because it brought tears to my eyes. we saw ted and ina in plains today and i was telling her about your blog and our house being on the market. she said that richy cried when they sold their place in kalispell. it's hard on the younger kids. so just don't stay in any one place too long. anyway, you really need to have your blog published. didn't you say there's a way to do it. i think you could publish this into a best selling book. i love all the pix, except the one of midget (dog) and me and our "same" hairdos! i guess dogs and owners really do look alike.

Suzy said...

hey liva. the pix of nik and aaron was taken during a ballet wasn't it? look at nik. her hair is up and she looks like she has a "nutcracker" shirt on. remember when kathy and i were doing shirts and selling them? i actually dreamed about kathy, richard, and i think arja last night. haven't a clue what it was about.

Suzy said...

never mind. i don't know what she's wearing, but her hair is up.

Liv said...

I was going to make a comment about Midget and your hair but you did it yourself. Thanks!

Liv said...

The picture of Nik and Aaron must have been after a "Cinderella" performance. If you look close I'm behind the coat tree and I have my Winter Fairy head piece on.

Suzy said...

you're kidding. i missed that. i'll go look.

Suzy said...

man liva! it took me two looks and enlarging that pix to find you in there. but, yeah, there was a ballet going on.

kiley said...

Oh Liv!!! How I loved the old house (and was also frightened of it)!! Brings back sooo many great memories... Sugar our Bunny, mermaids in the pool, sauna, ghosts, sugar bread, pink and green mascara in the dining room mirrior, ribbon candy and dried fruit at Christmas time, daring one another to go downstairs, fish tanks, eye 90 and the list goes on and on and on... oooh and I loved seeing a pic of Midget!! Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to have shared all those amazing times with your family and you! xoxo-kiley