Friday, May 20, 2011

A New Bed

Our bedroom has always been my least favorite room in the house. It was a total mishmash of stuff. Absolutely nothing coordinated. And it was dark. I actually like a dark bedroom...it is in fact where you go to sleep...so dark is good in my book. But it was dark in a blecky, dingy, I want to kill myself sort of way.

To top it off, we were sleeping on a horrendous fifteen year old hand-me-down mattress that made my body ache like no other. And we were using Tim's bachelor-days' queen sized headboard propped loosely - not attached - against that horrid king size mattress.

I wanted a new bed baaadly. Not just a new mattress but the whole thing. Something official.

A while back I discovered Ana White and all her fabulous building plans.  I do like to build things.  I surfed through her website one night until 4 o'clock in the morning drooling over all the things I could build...but particularly over her farmhouse bed...bingo.

My biggest obstacle was Tim's headboard. It has huge sentimental value for him.  His grandfather built it for him as a welcome home gift after his mission. I couldn't just tell him to ditch his headboard. So I started dropping subtle hints about how badly we need a new mattress for the sake of our bodies, and how I'd found a really good deal on a memory foam mattress and how a memory foam mattress really needs to go on a platform bed, but we don't have a platform bed, but heck I could build one for cheap, and that it would be so cool for him to pass down his grandpa's headboard to Andrew (even though his bedroom isn't big enough for it with all his toys and crap).

Finally, after several particularly uncomfortable nights on our mattress, Tim made me a deal...if I could find a safe place for his headboard, I could build us a new bed.

Needless to say, I got to work immediately.

Headboard and footboard...



Painted, sanded and stained...It was at this point Tim got cold feet and said he wasn't sure he wanted to move out his old headboard. Ummm...a little too late now buddy.


I basically just built a floor for the mattress.

Then I totally split the butt of my pants as I was straddling the 2x4's.

I laid peg board on top to keep the mattress from sagging between the joists and still allow the mattress to breath.


I was having so dang much fun that I got to work on an itty bitty nightstand for Tim...



And a nice big one for me...




Done

It's still my dark little sleeping cave but seriously freshened up.  I'm not a big fan of matchy matchy furniture but until I'm in the mood to rip up the nasty green carpet and repaint the walls so I have more color options, I can live with it.

Plus I love looking at it all and thinking, 'I built all of that with my bare freaking hands'.

No comments: